What Causes Substandard Plating Results?
- Poor cleaning prior to plating
- Improper plating solution maintenance
- A lack of process and/or procedural controls
- Impure anodes
- Uncontrolled rectifier output
- Not applying the proper undercoats
- Poor cleaning and drying after plating
Potential Problems That Can Occur
- Bare spots (lack of coverage)
- Peeling or flaking layers
- Rough surfaces
- Underplating (Deposit(s) too thin)
- Overplating (Deposit(s) too thick)
- Dimensional tolerance issues
- Inferior appearance
- Bad solder joints
- Shortened shelf life
- Poor corrosion resistance
- Hydrogen embrittlement
Resulting In Failures Or Shortened Part Life
Any of these problems can lead to failures or shortened life of the part or worse, the entire system in which the part is used.
The Bottom Line
Simply put, the plating and tinning company you choose has the power to make or break your project. The failure caused by poor plating or by misunderstanding your project's application can be a mere inconvenience or it could be catastrophic - a total system failure causing loss of life.
Put Our Expertise To Work For You
At Hi-Tech Plating and The Tinning Company, our staff of highly trained and experienced engineers and operators, enable you, your company, and your customer to keep a competitive edge in design, development, and production. Contact us today to discuss your particular plating and tinning requirements and put our expertise to work for you.